Jerry F. Suva II
State Bar of Texas
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
U.S. District Courts
Eastern District of Texas
Intellectual Property Litigation
United States Patent & Trademark Office Practice
Strategic IP Counseling & Portfolio Management
Licensing, Monetization & Technology Transactions
Technologies & Industries:
Business Method Patents
Digital & Analog Electronics
Electronics & Robotics
Electrical and Computer Technology
Image & Signal Processing
Oil & Gas
Power Grid Infrastructure
Sourcing and Technology
Semiconductor and Integrated Circuits
J.D., University of Texas
B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Tulsa, cum laude
Jerry Suva provides legal services relating to utility patents, design patents, technology licensing, trade dress, copyright, and trademarks.
TECHNOLOGY & INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
Mr. Suva represents clients in conjunction with technologies such as computer security, microprocessor architecture, digital and analog electronics, software engineering, networking, medical informatics, electronic commerce, optics, power grid infrastructure, telecommunications, wireless communications, image and signal processing, natural resource drilling and simulation, financial services, and consumer products.
Prior to law school, Mr. Suva worked as an applications engineer and product manager at National Instruments, where he focused on instrumentation, software licensing, and digital rights management.
Mr. Suva has drafted and successfully prosecuted hundreds of patents form the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Mr. Suva enjoys writing and speaking on prosecution and consulting with colleagues on particularly difficult cases. Working with in-house counsel and technologists, Mr. Suva often mines product releases, road maps, and think sessions for patent portfolio enhancements.
Mr. Suva invalidates patents asserted against his clients through post-grant proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Mr. Suva uses his combination of experience in prosecution and litigation to achieve effective results in Inter Partes Review and Covered Business Method Review to serve broader litigation or licencing strategies. Before the availability of these proceedings, Mr. Suva also successfully pursued Ex Parte Reexaminations.
Mr. Suva litigates patent, trademark, and trade dress disputes in venues across the country, including the Eastern District of Texas and the International Trade Commission. Mr. Suva is experienced in pre-trial and trial matters including claim construction, pre-litigation analysis, Markman proceedings, and fact and expert discovery. Mr. Suva represents both companies seeking to enforce their intellectual property rights and those accused of infringement.
Presentation & Panels
- "Test and Measurement IP Issues" - NIWeek, August 2008
- "'I Agree' . . . To What, Exactly?" (enforceability of online click-wrap agreements) - State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, June 2014
- "Patent Profanity" - Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, March 2016
- "Overlooked IP Rights - Design Patents and Trade Dress" - Association of Corporate Counsel, May 2016
- "Patentable Subject Matter Update from the Federal Circuit" - Advanced Intellectual Property Law 2017, TexasBARCLE, February 2017
- "Effects of Williamson v. Citrix on PTAB Trials" - Baker Botts Ideas, September 2015
- "Means-Plus-Function Claims Under Williamson" - Texas State Bar IP Newsletter, Practice Points, Summer 2015 (http://www.texasbariplaw.org/Portals/0/Newsletters/2015/2015%20Summer.pdf)